Be sure to check out our new Blogs and discover all the new Free Training!
Newsletter for Computer IT Education,
Training & Tutorial Resources
*** ISSUE #89- June 2009 ***
This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers
and is available on the web at
Newsletter Archives are here:
Subscribe instructions are at the end.
Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
and associates who might be interested!
In This Issue:
1)... Editor's Greeting
2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites
3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites
4)... University Computer Science Course Sites
5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users
6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites
7)... I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning
8)... Question of the Month about Technical Training
9)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission
1) Editor's Greeting:
Hello everyone, and welcome to our new subscribers!
This is the June 2009 issue (#89) of our free monthly newsletter for Computer IT Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources providing you with the latest Free online IT Training Resources that we have recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free to anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no username/password is needed). To access our member site, however, you do need a user name and password - registering as a member of Intelligentedu.com costs $15 for two months, for more information please see Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com.
My desire is that these free resources will help you with your computer education and training and are tools to advance your IT career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate who are seeking to become computer literate, both technically and from a user's perspective.
In this issue we describe and link to a total of 98 computer, IT and programming learning and tutorial web sites. By means of this email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites before our web site visitors do.
***Current News ***
Please take a look at our Blogs, We post on a daily basis to these blogs all New Free Training and Tutorial Resources, as we discover and evaluate them, here are the links:
Best New Free Technical Computer and Development Training Sites
Free Computer, Technical, and IT Books
Our 3 Blogs for EducationOnlineForComputers.com
- Web Development - Adobe & Macromedia - Microsoft Office
If you'd like, also get our Free Computer, I.T., and Programming Training updates via RSS.
I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power
- With Free Online Computer Training!"
*** Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com ***
Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT training resources and tutorials. This content is individually linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT learning experience. We have done all the web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your computer training. For short FAQ Answers, please see the end of this newsletter.
The total price to join as a member is only $15.00 total for 2 months, $25 for 4 months, $34 for 6 months, or $59 for a whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those seeking IT education and application development training. Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up: http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html.
This is our new free computer and IT education and training search engine housing over 220,000 free training internet resources! Just type in a topic you're looking for and get tons of great web resources instantly. These search results are much better than the big search engines, like google. You can also check out our predefined search results page giving you tons of free training resources: http://www.edcomp.com/predefined.htm.
Our new software application and office training and tutorial site, EducationOnlineForComputers.com, is now up and running. We give you Free access to hundreds of Free Training and Tutorials covering Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and FrontPage. We also provide you a member site for the best available online software application training. You can follow this site's blog on our EOFC Twitter page
-> Here are Your 3 Rewards for Subscribing to this Newsletter <-
*** Free Online IT Training Materials for Subscribers ***
This section of our site contains over 2,000 free IT, computer and programming training resource links: http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_it_training_materials_and_books.html
*** Free Online Computer Training and Tutorial Resources ***
Containing over 8,000 free IT training and tutorial resources, this section of our site is available only to our newsletter subscribers and web site members: http://www.intelligentedu.com/newly_researched_free_training.html
*** Free e-Book: "Understanding Computer Security" ***
Our new e-book contains the best information from U.S. government agency computer security papers and guides and presents it in a coherent and understandable manner. My hope is that this e-book will make computer security easier to learn. Click here to receive your Free Copy: http://www.intelligentedu.com/Understanding_Computer_Security.zip (553 kb). When unzipped it is a windows executable.
2) The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:
This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in the last few weeks. These resources will be added to our Free IT Training & Courses page at Intelligentedu.com/cat1.html, our Free IT Tutorials and Guides page at Intelligentedu.com/cat2.html, or to our members' site.
This is our new Free computer and IT education, training and tutorial search engine housing over 150,000 free training internet resources! Just type in a topic you're looking for and get tons of great web resources instantly. We believe these results are better than the big search engines, like google.
You can start searching right now using this form:
Here are a few search results to get you started:
Java Learning Resources:
A+ Tutorials and free practice questions:
Intelligentedu.com paid Member-only search with 70,000 more free resources:
If you forgot your password please go here to retrieve it:
Visit TrainingByEmail to receive Free Training for C#, ASP.Net, SQL, Word, Excel, and Outlook, via your email every week! We will send out a new training in the topic of your choosing every week. You can then save this, print it out, or delete it all at your convenience. And you can't beat the price, FREE!
39 Ruby On Rails Video Tutorials
These 39 Ruby On Rails Video Tutorials at showmedo teach you the many details of Ruby On Rails programming. The video tutorials are divided into sections so that you can learn Rails in twelve weeks. These video tutorials also provide some great tips for Rails.
Railscasts Week 12 (3 videos)
These video tutorials on Rails show you how to make named routes, custom REST actions and demonstrates subversion on Rails.
- Named Routes
- Custom REST Actions
- Subversion on Rails
Railscasts Week 11 (3 videos)
The following video tutorials on Rails explain about various features like formatting time, time in Text field and making a plug-in.
- Formatting Time
- Time in Text Field
- Making a Plugin
Railscasts Week 10 (3 videos)
The Rails video tutorials teach about various methods like in_groups-of, group_by_Month and a clean way to add titles to your pages.
- Group_by Month
- Pretty Page Title
Railscasts Week 9 (3 videos)
The video tutorials on Rails demonstrate various features like SQL Injection, using mass assignment and cross site scripting.
- SQL Injection
- Hackers Love Mass Assignment
- Cross Site Scripting
Railscasts Week 8 (3 videos)
The following video tutorials on Rails show you how to use features like eager loading, counter cache column and the stack trace tool.
- Eager Loading
- Counter Cache Column
- The Stack Trace
Railscasts Week 7 (3 videos)
These Rails video tutorials teach features like building an administration system, restricting access to the administration and authentication.
- Where Administration Goes
- Restricting Access
- Super Simple Authentication
Railscasts Week 6 (3 videos)
These video tutorials on Rails demonstrate concepts like virtual attributes, HABTM checkboxes and looping through Flash.
- Virtual Attributes
- HABTM Checkboxes
- Looping Through Flash
Railscasts Week 5 (3 videos)
The following video tutorials on Rails explain about topics like using model in session, performing calculation on models and using find conditions.
- Dangers of Model in Session
- Performing Calculations on Models
- Fun with Find Conditions
Railscasts Week 4 (3 videos)
These video tutorials give you various tips for Rails on cleaning up your code through refactoring.
- Refactoring User Name Part 1
- Refactoring User Name Part 2
- Refactoring User Name Part 3
The Original Ruby on Rails Screencasts (3 videos)
The Ruby on Rails video tutorials show you how to write a blog in just fifteen minutes, build an interface to Flickr in five minutes and painlessly migrate your database schemas.
- Putting Flickr on Rails
- Evolving your database schema without a sweat
- Creating a weblog in 15 minutes
Railscasts Week 2 (3 videos)
The following video tutorials on Rails demonstrate various features like moving find into model, using the _scope and shortcut blocks.
- Move Find into Model
- Using with_scope
- Shortcut Blocks with Symbol to_proc
Railscasts Week 1 (3 videos)
These Rails video tutorials explain about various features like caching with instance variables, dynamic find_by methods and find through association.
- Caching with Instance Variables
- Dynamic find_by Methods
- Find Through Association
Railscasts Week 3 (3 videos)
The following video tutorials describe Rails features like layouts, content_for and filtering sensitive logs.
- All About Layouts
- Layouts and content_for
- Filtering Sensitive Logs
45 C and C++ Programming Video Tutorials
Here are 45 C and C++ Video Tutorials at showmedo provide a new dimension to teaching by using videos to explain various workflows in application development using C and C++. These C and C++ video tutorials explain programming skills, building applications from scratch and the history of C and C++, including their evolution. Also discussed are C and C++’s various features and their varied syntax, the use and advantages of classes and objects, file comparisons. The move from basic to more advanced topics discusses functions, their declaration and the use of loops for iterations and repetitive tasks are also demonstrated.
C++ Tutorials (38 videos)
These videos highlight coding in C and C++, debugging and executing this code. It also discusses compilers, the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment, C++ variables, feels includes, iteration. These video tutorials also teaches the implementation of the object oriented programming concepts like classes, operator overloading etc.
- C++ Tutorial (1)
- C++ Tutorial (2)
- C++ Tutorial (3)
- C++ Tutorial (4)
- C++ Tutorial (5)
- C++ Tutorial (6)
- C++ Tutorial (7)
- C++ Tutorial (8)
- C++ Tutorial (9)
- C++ Tutorial (10)
- C++ Tutorial (11)
- C++ Tutorial (12)
- C++ Tutorials (14)
- C++ Tutorials (15)
- C++ Tutorials (16)
- C++ Tutorial (17)
- C++ Tutorial (wrap 1 @ video 17)
- C++ Tutorial (wrap 2 @ video 17)
- C++ Tutorial (Wrap 3 @ video 17)
- C++ Tutorial (Wrap 4 @ video 17)
- C++ Tutorial (18)
- C++ Tutorial (19)
- C++ Tutorial (20)
- C++ Tutorial (21)
- C++ Tutorial (22)
- C++ Tutorial (23)
- C++ Tutorial (24)
- C++ Tutorial (25)
- C++ Tutorial (26)
- C++ Tutorial (27)
- C++ Tutorial (28)
- C++ Tutorial (29)
- C++ Tutorial (30)
- C++ Tutorial (31)
- C++ Tutorial (32)
- C++ Tutorial (33)
- C++ Tutorial (34)
C Programming Tutorial. (8 videos)
These videos discuss other features of C and C++ such as its history, the CPU architecture required to run C and C++, detailed syntax overview and a simple game program.
- Studying skills for programmers
- C tutorial - Building
- C tutorial - History
- C tutorial - Features & CPU architecture
- C Tutorial - C syntax
- C tutorial - C syntax , part II
- C tutorial - C syntax , part III
- C tutorial - Number guessing game
Python Video Tutorials
Here are several excellent Python Video Tutorials at showmedo that provide an in depth understanding to programming in Python. Python is a high-level scripting and programming language used for web applications. Several web application frameworks and servers support Python which help users develop complex applications. These Python video tutorials cover and teach various topics such as GUI programming, creating a wiki, the Python standard library, objects in Python and the Google app engine. A majority of these Python tutorials provide detailed information abmany everyday tasks in Python such as database programming, loops and iteration, common variables and containers and functions in Python.
- Python 101 - easygui and csv (17 videos)
- Python Development on XP (10 videos)
- Python GUI Programming with wxPython (5 videos)
- Python Beginners - Common Variables and Containers (14 videos)
- Build a wxPython Image Viewer (14 videos)
- A Demonstration of the 'IPython' Interactive Shell (5 videos)
- Python Beginners - What Does Python Look Like? (6 videos)
- Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes (3 videos)
- Django From the Ground Up (13 videos)
- Batteries included - The Python standard library (9 videos)
- An Introduction to Database Programming with Python (5 videos)
- Python Beginners - Functions (6 videos)
- COM and Python with pyWin32 (6 videos)
- Developing emol! (31 videos)
- An Introduction to Python Objects, using IPython (3 videos)
- Python Beginners - Loops and Iteration (7 videos)
- An Introduction to Vim Macros (7 videos)
- PyDev Eclipse IDE Videos (2 videos)
- 5-Minutes With Python (4 videos)
- A Gentle Introduction to the Google App Engine Python SDK (5 videos)
4 Perl Video Tutorials
These 4 excellent Perl Video Tutorials at showmedo will provide an in depth coverage of Perl features, logic and sample code using videos. Perl is a scripting language widely used in graphics programming, system administration, network programming and web-based database access. These Perl video tutorials discuss simple scripts, conditional and arithmetic operations and iterations using arrays and loops in Perl on Unix, Linux or Cygwin.
'Hello World' with Perl
This Perl video tutorial explains the ever famous ‘Hello World’ example, thereby giving users a look and feel of how Perl works.
Simple variables in Perl
This video tutorial explains how simple variables work in Perl.
Conditionals and Arithmetic
This video tutorial explains how to carry out simple arithmetic operation in Perl. Also discussed is conditional logic.
Arrays and Loops
This video tutorial teaches iterations in Perl, namely using arrays and loops.
TurboGears Ultimate DVD (TG v1.0) (12 videos)
- Introducing Generic Functions
- More About Widgets
- TurboGears Core Tour
- The Future of TurboGears
- Rapid Web Applications with TurboGears
- The 20 Minute Wiki, 2nd Edition
- Bob Ippolito's MochiKit 1.1 Intro
- Effective Ajax with TurboGears
Java2Script Desktop and Web GUIs (3 videos)
- Introducing Java2Script
- Using Eclipse and Java2Script
7 Eclipse Video Tutorials
These 7 Eclipse Video Tutorials at showmedo explain and demonstratge this development platform by using video tutorials. Eclipse is a multi-language software development platform comprising an IDE and plug-ins for a variety of languages such as C, C++, Java, Perl, Python and more. Support for each of these languages is added via the use of language specific plug-ins. These Eclipse video tutorials cover the plug-ins for Ruby, Java and PyDev in detail.
Ruby and the RDT Eclipse Ruby Plugin
This video tutorial explains how to install the Ruby plug-in for Eclipse to work in Ruby. This tutorial also explains how to effectively create the ‘Hello World’ program in Ruby, and to add two numbers and display the result.
Using Eclipse for Java Programming (4 videos)
These video tutorials explain some of the features that you need to start working with Eclipse in Java. It starts off with a simple Java program, moving on to explain some of it features and using the CVS in Eclipse
- A first Java program in Eclipse
- Code-completion in Eclipse
- The rename refactoring tool in Eclipse
- Using CVS inside Eclipse
PyDev Eclipse IDE Videos (2 videos)
These video tutorials explain how to use the Eclipse IDE for scripting in Python by introducing PyDev extensions and the PyDev IDE.
- Introducing PyDev Extensions
- Introducing the PyDev IDE for Eclips
Java Video Tutorials
These Java Video Tutorials at showmedo help you learn Java programming. The Java tutorials below cover topics such as reverse engineering, using Java web start, Jython, installing Java Psion link and writing an applet with Java.
Reverse Engineering Using BOUML
This video tutorial gives you a brief introduction into creating class diagrams using BOUML. This is intended for those heading into the software engineering field that is looking for tools to assist them in reverse engineering.
How to use Java Web Start for your Java application
In this video tutorial, we explore how to package a Java application in a jar file and create a Java Web Start launcher.
Jython - First Impression
This video tutorial gives you a first impression on Jython, showing it in action, and how to use the Java Swing class library in Jython.
Installing Java Psion Link
This video tutorial demonstrates how to connect a Psion computer to a Mac running OS X using Java Psion Link.
Writing an Applet with Java (10 videos)
The following video tutorials explain about packaging games and demos as Java applets can be an effective way to showcase your work on a website. These video tutorials demonstrate the basics of writing a Java Applet to display graphics on screen and react to user input.
- The 'Hello World' Applet - Part 1
- The 'Hello World' Applet - Part 2
- The 'Hello World' Applet - Part 3
- The 'Hello World' Applet - Part 4
- The 'Hello World' Applet - Part 5
- Mandelbrot fractal applet in grey - Part 6
- Mandelbrot fractal applet in colour - Part 7
- Animated Mandelbrot fractal applet - Part 8
- Navigable Mandelbrot fractal applet - Part 9
- Zoomable Mandelbrot fractal applet - Part 10
Video Tutorials on Ubuntu and Linux
These Linux and Ubuntu Video Tutorials at showmedo allow a more dynamic approach to working with Ubuntu’s Linux distribution. These Ubuntu video tutorials provide a first-hand working and learning experience on various Ubuntu and Linux features such as the introductory features of Ubuntu, coding on Ubuntu, Screen Casts, using Open Office and working with graphics. Also included are video tutorials of creating a .deb package, downloading and burning an Ubuntu ISO and publishing email in a spam-proof manner. Other Linux video tutorials consist of video editing and adding effects to videos and installing and configuring Ubuntu Linux for commercial use.
- Gnu/Linux casts (2 videos)
- Beginning GNU/Linux with Ubuntu (6 videos)
- Ubuntu: Making a .deb package out of a python program
- Downloading and Burning an Ubuntu ISO
- Screen cast: upgrading to OOov3
- Committing your changes in Bazaar
- Getting Started: Installing Bazaar, Downloading the Source
- VirtualBox Shared Folders (3 videos)
- Introduction to C++ on Linux with Hello World (2 videos)
- Misc (9 videos)
- Installing and using Linux (2 videos)
- Python: create art with xturtle, random and genetic_algorithm (4 videos)
- QCake the open-source 3D engine (3 videos)
- Graphic: transparent background with GIMP
- Showmedo: How to publish your email address in a spam-proof way
- Audacity export mp3 from ubuntu 7.10 (2 videos)
- OpenOffice (6 videos)
- 7-zip file compression programme (10 videos)
Web Development Tutorials using Microsoft Technologies
Here are several Tutorials and Articles on Web Development using Microsoft Technologies, at Microsoft Developer Network, covering various web development topics and techniques using Microsoft. ASP .NET is a web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft Corporation to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites, web applications and web services. These Web Development Tutorials cover web development using ASP .NET, HTML and CSS, Internet Explorer Development, Internet Information Services, Scripting, Server Technologies and Silverlight.
75 ASP.Net Data Access Tutorials
These 75 ASP .Net Data Access Tutorials at asp.net explain in detail techniques for implementing the common data access patterns in ASP .NET 2.0. These tutorials are geared to be concise and provide step-by-step instructions with plenty of screen shots to walk you through the process visually. The tutorials are constructed in such a manner that both VB and C# developers will find it easy to follow different topics.
In the introductory tutorials, the topics covered are creating the Data Access Layer (DAL) to access the information in a database, how to centralize your business rules into a Business Logic Layer (BLL).
- 1. Creating a Data Access Layer C#
- 2. Creating a Business Logic Layer C#
- 3. Master Pages and Site Navigation C#
These tutorials discuss topics like displaying data with the ObjectDataSource control, declarative parameters and programmatically setting the ObjectDataSource's parameter values.
- 4. Displaying Data With the ObjectDataSource C#
- 5. Declarative Parameters C#
- 6. Programmatically Setting the ObjectDataSource's Parameter Values C#
These ASPdotNET tutorials examine topics like how to display the master records in a DropDownList control and the details of the selected list item in a GridView, the master/detail relationship to add a third layer etc.
- 7. Master/Detail Filtering With a DropDownList C#
- 8. Master/Detail Filtering With Two DropDownLists C#
- 9. Master/Detail Filtering Across Two Pages C#
- 10. Master/Detail Using a Selectable Master GridView with a Details DetailView C#
These tutorials teach topics such as how to accomplish data bound formatting through the use of the DataBound and RowDataBound event handlers, achieving a greater degree of customization with the GridView and DetailsView controls etc.
- 11. Custom Formatting Based Upon Data C#
- 12. Using TemplateFields in the GridView Control C#
- 13. Using TemplateFields in the DetailsView Control C#
- 14. Using the FormView's Templates C#
- 15. Displaying Summary Information in the GridView's Footer C#
Editing, Inserting, and Deleting Data
These ASPdotNETtutorials examine topics like inserting, updating and deleting data, examining the events associated with it, handling BLL and DAL exceptions, adding validation controls to the editing and inserting interfaces and limiting data modification functionality based on the user.
- 16. An Overview of Inserting, Updating, and Deleting Data C#
- 17. Examining the Events Associated with Inserting, Updating, and Deleting C#
- 18. Handling BLL- and DAL-Level Exceptions in an ASP.NET Page C#
- 19. Adding Validation Controls to the Editing and Inserting Interfaces C#
- 20. Customizing the Data Modification Interface C#
- 21. Implementing Optimistic Concurrency C#
- 22. Adding Client-Side Confirmation When Deleting C#
- 23. Limiting Data Modification Functionality Based on the User C#
Paging and Sorting
These tutorials demonstrate topics such as paging and sorting report data, efficiently paging through large amounts of data, sorting custom paged data and creating a customized sorting user interface.
- 24. Paging and Sorting Report Data C#
- 25. Efficiently Paging Through Large Amounts of Data C#
- 26. Sorting Custom Paged Data C#
- 27. Creating a Customized Sorting User Interface C#
Custom Button Actions
This tutorial shows how to create custom button actions in a GridView.
- 28. Adding and Responding to Buttons to a GridView C#
Displaying Data with the DataList and Repeater
These tutorials discuss topics like displaying data with the DataList and Repeater controls, formatting the DataList and Repeater controls based upon data, showing multiple records per row with the DataList Control and nested data web controls.
- 29. Displaying Data with the DataList and Repeater Controls C#
- 30. Formatting the DataList and Repeater Based Upon Data C#
- 31. Showing Multiple Records per Row with the DataList Control C#
- 32. Nested Data Web Controls C#
Filtering Scenarios with the DataList and Repeater
These tutorials examine using different filtering scenarios with the DataList and Repeater controls. This section also covers the master/detail filtering with a DropDownList, master/detail filtering across two pages and master/detail using a bulleted list of master records with a Details DataList
- 33. Master/Detail Filtering With a DropDownList C#
- 34. Master/Detail Filtering Across Two Pages C#
- 35. Master/Detail Using a Bulleted List of Master Records with a Details DataList C#
Editing and Deleting Data Through the DataList
These tutorials demonstrate ASPdotNET techniques like editing and deleting data in the DataList, performing batch updates, handling BLL and DAL level exceptions, adding validation controls to the DataList's editing interface, customizing the DataList's editing interface etc.
- 36. An Overview of Editing and Deleting Data in the DataList C#
- 37. Performing Batch Updates C#
- 38. Handling BLL- and DAL-Level Exceptions C#
- 39. Adding Validation Controls to the DataList’s Editing Interface C#
- 40. Customizing the DataList’s Editing Interface C#
- 41. Implementing Optimistic Concurrency C#
- 42. Adding Client-Side Confirmation When Deleting C#
- 43. Limiting Data Modification Functionality Based on the User C#
Paging and Sorting with the DataList and Repeater
These tutorials shows how to create paging report data in a DataList or Repeater control and how to sort data in a DataList or Repeater control.
- 44. Paging Report Data in a DataList or Repeater Control C#
- 45. Sorting Data in a DataList or Repeater Control C#
Custom Button Actions with the DataList and Repeater
This tutorial examines the topic of custom button action with the DataList and Repeater controls.
- 46. Custom Buttons in the DataList and Repeater C#
Accessing the Database Directly from an ASP.NET Page
These tutorials examine topics like querying data with the SqlDataSource control, using parameterized queries with the SqlDataSource control, inserting, updating and deleting data with the SqlDataSource control and implementing optimistic concurrency with the SqlDataSource control.
- 47. Querying Data with the SqlDataSource Control C#
- 48. Using Parameterized Queries with the SqlDataSource C#
- 49. Inserting, Updating, and Deleting Data with the SqlDataSource C#
- 50. Implementing Optimistic Concurrency with the SqlDataSource C#
Enhancing the GridView
These tutorials show ASPdotNET techniques such as adding a GridView column of radio buttons and checkboxes and inserting a new record from the GridView's footer.
- 51. Adding a GridView Column of Radio Buttons C#
- 52. Adding a GridView Column of Checkboxes C#
- 53. Inserting a New Record from the GridView’s Footer C#
Working with Binary Files
These tutorials examine these techniques: uploading binary files, displaying binary data in the data web controls, including a file upload option when adding a new record and updating, deleting existing binary data.
- 54. Uploading FilesC#
- 55. Displaying Binary Data in the Data Web Controls C#
- 56. Including a File Upload Option When Adding a New Record C#
- 57. Updating and Deleting Existing Binary Data C#
These tutorials teach topics like caching data with the ObjectDataSource, caching data in the architecture and application startup and using SQL cache dependencies.
- 58. Caching Data with the ObjectDataSource C#
- 59. Caching Data in the Architecture C#
- 60. Caching Data at Application Startup C#
- 61. Using SQL Cache Dependencies C#
Database-Driven Site Maps
This tutorial shows how to build a custom database driven site map provider.
- 62. Building a Custom Database-Driven Site Map Provider C#
Working with Batched Data
These tutorials demonstrate techniques with working with batched data and wrapping database modifications within a transaction
- 63. Wrapping Database Modifications within a Transaction C#
- 64. Batch Updating C#
- 65. Batch Deleting C#
- 66. Batch Inserting C#
Advanced Data Access Scenarios
These tutorials teach topics of advanced data access scenarios. The topics include creating new stored procedures, using existing stored procedures, updating the TableAdapter to use JOINs, adding additional DataTable columns, working with computed columns, debugging stored procedures and creating stored procedures and user defined functions with manages code.
- 67. Creating New Stored Procedures for the Typed DataSet’s TableAdapters C#
- 68. Using Existing Stored Procedures for the Typed DataSet’s TableAdapters C#
- 69. Updating the TableAdapter to Use JOINs C#
- 70. Adding Additional DataTable Columns C#
- 71. Working with Computed Columns C#
- 72. Configuring the Data Access Layer’s Connection- and Command-Level Settings C#
- 73. Protecting Connection Strings and Other Configuration Information C#
- 74. Debugging Stored Procedures C#
- 75. Creating Stored Procedures and User-Defined Functions with Managed Code C#
14 ASP.NET Security Tutorials
These ASP.NET Security Tutorials Security tutorials explain in detail several at asp.net describe the security features of ASP.NET and how to use them in your code. The following ASP.NETASP.NET Security features that are very useful to both novice and professional web application developers. These tutorials are constructed in such a manner that both VB and C# programmers will find it easy to follow. They explore techniques for authenticating visitors through a web form, authorizing access to particular pages and functionality, and managing user accounts in an ASP.NET application.
In the introductory section of this tutorial the topics covered are identifying and log users in to a website, usage ASP.NET’s Membership framework to manage user accounts, Create, update, and delete user accounts, managing user roles, customizing and extending ASP.NET’s security Web controls, forms authentication and configuration and host of other related topics.
- 1. Security Basics and ASP.NET Support C#
- 2. An Overview of Forms Authentication C#
- 3. Forms Authentication Configuration and Advanced Topics C#
These tutorials examine techniques for adding the necessary schema to the database in order to use the SqlMembershipProvider, which uses a Microsoft SQL Server database as the user store. These tutorials also examine the key tables in the schema and discuss their purpose and importance. Other topics included are user based authorization, and storing additional information which is explained by building a rudimentary guestbook application.
- 4. Creating the Membership Schema in SQL Server C#
- 5. Creating User Accounts C#
- 6. Validating User Credentials Against the Membership User Store C#
- 7. User-Based Authorization C#
- 8. Storing Additional User Information C#
These tutorials demonstrate: the steps necessary for configuring the Roles framework, building two ASP.NET pages to assist with managing what users belong to what roles, how to apply role-based URL authorization rules, and using declarative and programmatic means for altering the data displayed.
- 9. Creating and Managing Roles C#
- 10. Assigning Roles to Users C#
- 11. Role-Based Authorization C#
These tutorials teach these topics: building an interface to select one user account from many, recovering and changing passwords using controls like PasswordRecovery and ChangePassword, and unlocking and approving user accounts by building a web page for administrators.
- 12. Building an Interface to Select One User Account from Many C#
- 13. Recovering and Changing Passwords C#
- 14. Unlocking and Approving User Accounts C#
3 SQL Server How-to Videos
Here are three SQL Server How-to Videos at Microsoft TechNet explain a few features of SQL Server using videos. These SQL Server video tutorials provide users with a firsthand experience of how these features work, namely using PowerShell to audit servers, using the Database Engine Tuning Advisor and using the filestream to store BLOB Data
How Do I: Use PowerShell to Audit Servers?
This video tutorial explains how DBAs can use the Windows PowerShell to audit and automate some of their everyday tasks such as reviewing log files and checking SQL Server properties.
How Do I: Use the Database Engine Tuning Advisor?
This video tutorial teaches you how to use an SQL script as the input to the Database Engine Tuning Advisor, and how to increase performance in various tables in the database.
How Do I: Use the Filestream Data Type to Store BLOB Data
In this video, the configuration of Windows and SQL Server to enable Filestream data type is explained. Further explanation is also provided in terms of creation of a database and storing the Filestream data type.
3) New Free Computer IT Books, Publications & Book Sites:
Some of these web resources will be added to our Free IT Books page at Intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html and some will be added to our members site.
Online Computer and Programming Books
Here are many freely available online computer and programming books, in several areas, as listed below.
Topics covered by these online computer books:
- Java programming
- Enterprise Java
- Web Development
- Web Design
- Oracle PL/SLQ
- Red Hat Linux
- Python programming
- C++ Programming
- VB .Net
- ASP .Net
Programming eBooks and Guides at Ebooksquad
Ebooksquad provides links around the web for many ebooks, guides, and learning documents covering several programming, database, and computer hardware areas. Their categories and tags within these are given below.
Programming eBooks and Guides
- C, C++, and C# Programming
- Java Programming
- SAP Tutorials
- SQL, SQL Server, and Database
- Visual Basic and VB . NET
- Visual Programming
Computer Hardware eBooks and Guides
- Cisco System
- LAN and WLAN
Programming and Computer eBooks at eBook30
Take a look at eBook30 for freely available programming and computer ebooks in many areas, as shown and linked below. This site provides links to various file share and download sites. Free registration is required, but access is immediately given.
eBook Categories at eBook30:
- ASP .NET
- . NET
- Visual Basic
- Windows Software
- Unix Software
- Mac Software
Database and SQL Server
Windows and Microsoft
2 eBooks on Google Web Toolkit (GWT)
Here are 3 learning documents covering Google Web Toolkit (GWT) at scribd.com: two ebooks and one tutorial. These will help you learn and improve your skills with writing GWT and Ajax code to build dynamic, interactive, and rich web applications. These ebooks and tutorial are in pdf format, to download them you need to register for free and then select the Save Document option in the More drop-down.
GWT eBook #1
Using Ajax and the Google Web Toolkit
(631 pages, 10.8 mb, pdf format)
Part 1 Getting Started
- Introducing GWT
- Creating the default application
- Advancing to your own application
Part 2 Building User Interfaces
- Working with widgets
- Working with panels
- Handling events
- Creating composite widgets
- Building JSNI components
- Modularizing an application
Part 3 Advanced Techniques
- Communicating with GWT-RPC
- Examining client-side RPC architecture
- Classic Ajax and HTML forms 409
- Achieving interoperability with JSON
- Automatically generating new code
- Changing applications based on GWT properties
Part 4 Completing the Understanding
- Testing and deploying GWT applications
- Peeking into how GWT works
GWT eBook #2
(377 pages, 10.8 mb, pdf format)
Part 1 Getting Started
1 Introducing GWT
1.1 Why GWT
1.2 What GWT includes
1.3 GWT basics
1.4 Working with the GWT shell
1.5 Understanding the GWT compile
2 A New Kind of Client
2.1 Basic project structure and components
2.2 Design patterns and GWT
2.3 Styling a GWT component
2.4 Running a completed project
3 Communicating with the Server
3.1 Making GWT Remote Procedure Calls
3.2 The development server—Tomcat Lite
3.3 Using an external development server
Part 2 Task-Specific Issues
4 Core Application Structure
4.1 Building a model
4.2 Building view components
4.3 The controller and service
5 Other Techniques for Talking to Servers
5.1 Web development methods and security
5.2 Enabling REST and POX communications
5.4 Creating a cross-domain SOAP client with Flash
5.5 Incorporating applets with GWT
5.6 Streaming to the browser with Comet
6 Integrating Legacy and Third-Party Ajax Libraries
6.1 A closer look at JSNI
7 Building, Packaging, and Deploying
7.1 Packaging GWT modules
7.2 Building and deploying applications
7.3 Automating the build
7.4 Managing Tomcat Lite from the build
8 Testing and Continuous Integration
8.1 GWT testing
8.2 Advanced testing concepts
8.3 Continuous integration
Part 3 Fully Formed Applications
9 Java Enterprise Reinvented
9.1 Constructing two models
9.2 Mapping to DTOs
9.3 Wiring applications with Spring
9.4 Constructing the client application
10 Building the Storefront
10.1 Securing GWT applications
10.2 Building a drag-and-drop system
10.3 JSNI special effects
11 Managing Application State
11.1 Overview of the sample application
11.2 Creating a basic messaging service
11.3 Handling messages on the client and server
11.4 Recording and playing back conversations
11.5 Dealing with state on the server side
11.6 Adding a UI and cleaning up
Appendix A Notable GWT Projects 335
Appendix B Quick Reference
Google Web Toolkit Tutorial
(5 pages, 166 kb, pdf format)
Learn to write AJAX applications from Java classes, using the new development paradigm introduced by this new Google framework. Recently, the 1.20 version of Google Web Toolkit (GWT) was released. This framework introduces a new AJAX application development paradigm. Is goal is to
4) University Computer Science Course Sites Free to Browse and Study:
These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course Webs page at Intelligentedu.com/cat3.html
Ruby On Rails Intensive 1-Day Course
Here is a great Ruby On Rails Intensive 1-Day Course, from the University of California at Berkeley. The Rails framework, built using the Ruby language, is a very promising Web application development technology that is becoming more popular. This course provides a fast-paced technical introduction to the key concepts in Ruby on Rails, along with exercises. It is not a complete programming course, but it will help you become literate in the language and framework. The course covers the fundamental concepts of the Ruby on Rails Web programming framework. The overview consists of six sections of approximately one hour each. Course materials include slides, online resources, and software installers. Here is their recommended RoR setup and installation instructions for Mac OS X and Windows. This Ruby On Rails course is also available on youtube as a webcast.
Ruby on Rails course slide sets (pdf):
1: Hello World
2: Just Enough Ruby
3: Basic Rails
4: Advanced Active Record
5: AJAX and Testing
6: Configuration And Deploy
7: Extra Material
Webcast at youtube:
- Ruby on Rails - Part 1: Hello World
- Ruby on Rails - Part 2: Just Enough Ruby
- Ruby on Rails - Part 3: Basic Rails
- Ruby on Rails - Part 4: Advanced Active Record
- Ruby on Rails - Part 5: AJAX and Testing
- Ruby on Rails - Part 6: Configuration and Deploy
5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month we feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from our website visitors. Here are this month's sites:
Free Training for Visual C# and .Net Framework
Here are free training and study materials for Microsoft's 70-316 and 70-536 certification exams, covering Microsoft Visual C# and Visual Studio .NET, and the dotNet Framework from an Application Development perspective.
Training materials for Microsoft examination 70-316
The materials available here are training and study aids for students aiming to take the MCP exam 70-316: Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET.
The following course files are available:
- The User Interface
- Types and Members
- Object-Oriented Programming and Polymorphism
- Testing and Debugging
- Data Access
- Creating Controls
- Advanced Framework Topics
- Assemblies, Configuration and Security
Training materials for Microsoft examination 70-536
The materials available here are training and study aids for students aiming to take the MCP exam 70-536: Microsoft .NET Framework - Application Development Foundation.
The following course files are available:
- Framework Fundamentals
- Input Output
- Searching, Modifying and Encoding Text
- Collections and Generics
- Application Domains
- Installing and Configuring Applications
- Application Security
- User and Data Security
6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites:
These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page at Intelligentedu.com/cat6.html
Programming Texts and Tutorials in C/C++/Java/unix/linux/all languages
This is a pretty nice list of freely available documents (i.e. tutorials, books, guides, reference manuals, etc.) for learning how to program in various languages as well as about various Linux and Unix related topics, compiled by Hari Babu Kolluri. He also has put together this list of all software and computer related tutorials.
The following programs are totally Free, no popups, no adware, no spyware, and no shareware.
7) I.T. Sites and Free Downloads Worth Mentioning:
DirSync Pro (Directory Synchronize Pro) is a small, but powerful utility for file and folder synchronization. DirSync Pro can be used to synchronize the content of one or many folders recursively. Using DirSync Pro you can make incremental backups. In this way you’ll spare lots of time because you don’t have to copy all the files each time you want to update your backup; only new/modified/larger files would be copied. Also, easily synchronize files from your desktop PC to your USB-stick (PDA, Notebook, …). Use this USB-stick (PDA, Notebook, …) to synchronize files to another desktop PC. DirSync Pro is programmed completely in platform independent Java, so it can be run under nearly every modern operating system including Windows, Linux, and Macintosh.
MobaSSH – Free SSH server for Windows
MobaSSH allows you to run commands and transfer files on a remote Windows PC from any operating system (GNU/Linux, Unix, HP-UX, AIX, Windows) through a fully secured and encrypted network connection. MobaSSH is 100% compatible with the Linux/Unix/HPUx/AIX SSH clients, but also with Putty or WinSCP on Windows. MobaSSH features:
- Execute commands on a remote Windows computer
- Transfer files through an encrypted channel
- Retrieve information about the remote computer
- Make backups of your computers over the network
- Silently install software on remote Windows computers
- Silently administer the remote Windows computer
Google Sketchup is an easy-to-use 3D modeling software that enables you to create 3D models of houses, buildings and many other objects, using an array of drag and drop tools and materials in a WYSIWYG editing environment. You can design your objects with rectangles, circles, ovals, arcs, lines and freehand drawings, and use a unique push/pull tool to add dimension to 2D objects. The program offers a library of building material patterns (brick, concrete, wood, glass, carpet etc.) and colors that you can use to add a realistic look to your creation. The finished design can be exported to popular image formats, including JPG, TIF, PNG and BMP, or shared via the Google 3D warehouse.
TrendMicro HijackThis is a tool, that lists all installed browser add-on, buttons, startup items and allows you to inspect, and optionally remove selected items. The program can create a backup of your original settings and also ignore selected items. Additional features include a startup list report, hosts file manager, uninstall manager and some other tools. Intended for advanced users.
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) is a powerful and reliable data management product that delivers rich features, data protection, and performance for embedded application clients, light Web applications, and local data stores. SQL Server Express is designed to integrate seamlessly with your other server infrastructure investments. With a database size limit of 4 gigabytes (GB) and support for 1 CPU and up to 1 GB of RAM, SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is suitable for application embedding or lightweight application development.
aespe Table Browser for MS SQL Server
aespe Table Browser for MS SQL Server provides a simplified way to browse MS SQL database tables without having to use any SQL syntax to sort the columns or to perform basic filtering. The program lists the tables in a Windows Explorer style tree view to the left and selecting one will open the first 100 rows (can be changed). The right click column for each row offers additional copy options that lets you copy the row content in different formats. Additional features include several query helpers to filter the output and search for specific row content as well as an option to run SQL queries.
8) Question of the Month about Technical Training:
Each month Jeff Love will answer a current or important question that we have received about computer and IT training and career development.
June 2009 Question of the Month:
What are some good, free blog hosting services?
Here are what I believe to be the top free blogging hosting services on the web.
Aeonity Blog is a Free Blog Hosting Community where you may publish information instantly on your website and customize your blog to fit your personality. It basically works like an online journal, diary, weblog, or notepad and requires little or no technical background to update and maintain.
Blogates is a free, web-based tool that helps you publish to the web instantly. Blogates is an upcoming hosted service providing powerful tools for creating full-featured weblogs. It provides an import tool for many popular blog formats.
This free blog hosting service is powered by WordPress. Create your own blog in minutes.
This is Google's free blog hosting service. Many features are available, can be confusing for the beginning blogger.
Blog.com is used by almost two million bloggers. It provides many features, and provides a fully-featured publishing platform for free.
BlogEasy offers free blog hosting, which is a free web page publishing and syndication service that allows users to quickly share information, such as news, reviews, blogs, journals, weblogs, diaries, and photos.
ClearBlogs is a great way to make your thoughts heard by over 175,000 viewers every month. Provides customizable templates that are easy to use.
tBlog offers the following: bannerless blogging, suggested networking match, full theme control, real-time statistics, and custom HTML.
I hope this helps you.
9) Please Support Our Training Mission
How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission
Please help support Intelligentedu.com's Computer and IT Education and Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below. By doing so, you will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an Information Technology career.
ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs
University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career
DeVry: Online degrees for working adults
Kaplan College Online:
Advance your career with an online degree from Kaplan College
Capella University -accredited online education for professionals
Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources
Free I.T. Training Now!
A free and member-based I.T. educational and training portal web site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many, many sites that will be of keen interest to computer science students and instructors and others seeking free training and knowledge about computers. All areas are covered, from programming to systems administration to networking to the internet. You are able to study and learn all about computers and I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides, documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are free technical training tutorials co-branded with Freeskills.com/. Check us out today.
Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices. Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a copyright notice is present.
*** Intelligentedu.com's Member Site ***
Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT training resources and tutorials. This content is individually linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT learning experience. We have done all the web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your computer training.
Intelligentedu.com Member Site FAQ Answers:
- Over half of the web sites and pages in our members site are not in the free section of our web site. The online training resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.
- If you use a credit card when joining, you July choose to be billed by PayPal, or you July purchase from 2checkout.com, our authorized retailer, whichever you choose.
- You have a choice to select the non-recurring or recurring method of payment. If you select non-recurring, when your membership period expires, you will not be automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.
- If you are looking for training and tutorials covering popular software such as Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Web Development, Windows and Computer Hardware, please see our sister site, http://www.EducationOnlineForComputers.com
The total price to join our member's site is only $15.00 total for 2 months, $25 for 4 months, $34 for 6 months, or $59 for a whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those seeking IT education and application development training. Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up: intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html. You can email Jeff Love with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I will give you 8 great Free Bonuses when you sign up now. These are as follows:
1. A Comprehensive 47-page IT Glossary
2. How To Understand Windows Error Messages program
3. 105 Great Totally Free Utility Programs
4. A Bug Tracking Access
5. The Four Best IT Salary Calculator/Wizard sites
6. 12 Great Web Resources for Learning the Best Methods to Study and Take Tests
7. Six Great e-Books (a $120 value) to help you Make Money using the Internet
8. Five extra bonus IT resource sites that are the best from our "worth mentioning" newsletter section
To Subscribe to this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources:
Simply go to this web page and use the Subscribe form: